Thursday, February 14, 2013

My First Blog

Hey everyone,

Salut to my very first blog. The twenty-first century is a new era for all media, where blogging is the new convenient, personal way to spread news and stories around the world. So what to talk about?

Well recently my household had suffered a troubling snowstorm on Long Island that occurred between Friday night and Saturday afternoon.  For habitants living in the city, I commend your team of snow plows, otherwise... the people of Suffolk were trapped in their homes for about 3-4 days, and dozens of cars were abandoned on the Long Island Expressway.

I recall Friday night, amazed of how many cars were stuck on the LIE.  I attended class at Baruch College earlier that day and left around 4 p.m. as the snow was beginning to fall.  I did not predict the snow to fall so fast nor so much.  At the beginning of the trip, cars were running 10 mph.  Eventually, there was so much snow that cars started derailing to the curbs and everyone decided to make their own lanes just to get around the stalled.  I lost count at forty cars.  I thought to myself, "Fore-wheel drive, my @$$."

My car was on the verge of giving up when I met traffic.  Cars congested on a bridge and the snow continued to fall.  I said to myself, "We can't stop or we'll all be stuck in this snow."  I checked my news provider's Facebook on the status of the snow, and I asked my friends if they heard about any accidents on the bridge.  Finally, someone commented, "Actually yeah I'm on bridge too, there's too many cars getting stuck. No way around."  I was lucky to find an exit and leave.  And thank goodness for my GPS, I was able to find my way home, since it was difficult to see the street signs.

The only problem was getting up the driveway.  From that day, I was trapped within 3 ft. of snow for days.  I would often watch the news, check the Facebook status of my news provider, and keep in touch with friends.  It was suggested by the governor to fill out a form online on streets that weren't plowed instead of calling, since emergency lines were reserved to actual emergencies and reporting stalled cars.  It was helpful to see traffic updates of the LIE and transportation.  Eventually, my neighbors rallied together to plow our streets.

What's important from this experience is to keep contact with the news and with loved ones.  Also, practice defensive driving because not only does it pay off with your insurance provider, but also saves lives.


-Jeslie Mae T. Clavo

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jeslie Mae,

    It is quite interesting to do a research on the history of old media emphasizing how important it was in the earlier centuries because very often we talk about the significance of new media forgetting that it would not even exist without old one.

    Marina Shepeleva

    ReplyDelete